Friday, March 16, 2007

The Mexican Adventure


I have no topical reason for talking about this, so apologies. It’s just that I was thinking about it in the shower this morning.

One of the more surreal events in world history was the decision by the Emperor Napoleon III (The great Napoleon’s rather less great nephew) to put an Austrian Archduke, Maximilian (right), on the throne of Mexico.

Understandably, the somewhat bewildered people of Mexico weren’t entirely happy about an Austrian with an enormous facial hairstyle being made their emperor, supported by French troops (who were presumably equally confused by this latest wheeze of their rather eccentric ruler).

Inevitably, this crazed scheme failed and Emperor Max rather unfortunately shot by firing squad, celebrated in a rather excellent painting by Manet. This drove his wife, who had returned to Europe to generate support for the deranged enterprise, completely bonkers.

The sad thing is Maximilian seems to have been a rather decent chap.

Just shows you, never attack random countries. So, if Hungary declares war on Thailand you know they’ve been warned. By me. Through the use of 19th century analogous examples that have come to me during my morning ablutions. Via a blog no one reads.

2 comments:

Doug said...

I read your blog Paul!

Antonia Cornwell said...

Sometimes I just look at the pictures.